Are you interested to learn how to change the background color by using photoshop? I am here to teach you how to do that.
You can make your subject stand out by removing or changing the background with a solid color.
Change Image Background Color in Photoshop Step By Step
Let’s learn how to remove the background of a portrait, model or a product image using photoshop tools…
To change or replace the background of a project image requires some Photoshop tools,
You can use any selection tool like
- Quick Selection tool,
- Pen tool Photoshop
Hance, as selecting any subject using the pen tool is more accurate. So, I will prefer using that. But, if you are a beginner in photo editing you can use the Quick Selection tool too.
Now, the image we have selected in the next section is with an unsettled background. Hence, It is a bit more difficult to use the Quick Selection tool.
Step 1: Pick your Photo with Unsettled
At first, you have to choose a photo. In this tutorial, I chose a simple photo so that you can learn quickly. When you take a natural image, it will be beneficial for you to learn. If you take a complex picture, then it will be hard for you to learn.
Also, you have to abstain from something when separating the subject to change the background color.
- Hair that’s not smooth or spiked, frizzy or loose.
- Detailed edges subject.
- Only edges are focused
- Motion blur etc.
Step 2: Creating a Duplicate Layer
Just open your photograph in Photoshop. After that, make a duplicate layer by clicking Ctrl+j (Win), Command+j (Mac) & Turn off the first layer.
Step 3: Creating a Stable Layer
Now you need to create a solid layer by clicking the New layer icon from the layer panel. After that, you can choose any solid color from the top.
While you’ll work on a layer in photoshop then you can use the layer name, Because of this reason your productivity will be awesome and Giving a layer name is a wonderful idea.
Step 5: Selecting the Subject
- To select the subject you need to click on the quick selection tool.
- Then you need to click on select subject option from the top of the photoshop bar.
- Make sure your subject has to be clear otherwise dialogue box will appear.
- Your result won’t be perfect unless your subject is very clear. You should use other tools to refine the edges.
Step 6: Clean up the Edges
Make sure your selection tool is selected. Now click on the “select and mask “button. This will open a new window where you can refine your selection.
- Auto-selection tools can’t do a complete job always. Then you can use the selection tool for making a better edge of your subject.
- You need to do some work when the edges of the subject don’t separate from the images’ background.
- Then you can use the refine edge brush from the left tool panel, which is on the left side of your photoshop interface.
- When you select the overlay or on white, you can see the impact of this brush. If you want to know the brush effect, select on white or overlay, then you will find/get this option in the view panel.
- Here is an example, 50% opacity of overlay option from the view panel. You may not have to do much work if you will choose a clear define edges photo.
- Then what will you do? Zoom your subject 100%.
- When you are working on the edges in a clockwise direction, be sure you cover your silhouette.
- [ and ] key will help you to control the size of the brush.
- Moreover, You can control the effect by using the Radius, smooth, Feather, and contrast slider.
- You will find a better balance for the particular areas of your images. Depending on the details of your photos, it will be varied.
If you notice the picture, she has hair, which is the most challenging area to edit. You need to adjust the opacity of overlay that you can see the Variation of the printed picture.
While you are happy that you have cleaned up your selection, turn the view to white and black, and You can see the outlines look like that.
If you don’t notice the further changes, select the layer mask, and click the OK button.
Step 7: Painting on the layer mask
You have a new mask on the photo layer already. And If you want to refine other parts of the selection, like fuzzy edges or hair, always use the brush tool.
When you take a shot of a subject, you can see the hair, spiked, or not smooth edges of the subject. Or the subject wears any jewelry which is challenging to edit.
Suppose you don’t like any parts of the subject. You can erase it. Now, you will set up with 50% black and paint on the subject to delete the unnecessary things, and You can use 50 percent white and paint on a background that still visible.
If you need precise control for that, you can use the brush at 50% or lower opacity and the area you work on, which will bring transparency level. It will help you to get a better look.
Step 8: Select and separate your subject
To select the subject, You must click Ctrl on the layer mask; then, you need to make the selection duplicate by clicking Ctrl+j. Now hide any other layers so that you can see your separated subject.
Now, if you want, you can resize your canvas, it will help you to add some text to your photo, or you can make an eye catchy composite image with any other images on the same background.
If you want to change the measurement, you can do it here. To change the measurement, press Ctrl+Alt+c, now you will see a pop up on the interface & now type the desired size (width & height) on the box.
The example is down below:
Step 9: Make a solid color for your new background
To make a new fill layer, you have to click on the layers panel. However, for your unique background, you have to choose a solid color.
In this picture, I selected a Cyan color in the trim on her dress. It looks good but a small flat.
You can add a photo or a gradient background to add some depth.
Make a new layer under the isolated subject to add a gradient, and from the layers panel, click on the New Layer icon button. You can use the Gradient tool by pressing (G )from the keyboard to make an interesting/eye-catchy background.
Here are two gradients that I used in the image, It makes the depth of the new gradient background, and it looks far better than before.
Now you can use any photos as the background. To use another photo as a background, you need to create a blank layer and drag and drop your selected photo on this layer.
If your background image is too small or extra-large, then the picture will lose its quality or natural look. So, In this case, you have to resize the background of your photo to be fit.
Step 10: Check for Halos Around the Edges
In this step, you need to make one last check. Zoom your photos 100% and check the halo effect, which may be visual or not.
It will be visible if your new background color is not the same as your original background, then you can use the white or black brush to paint over the halo effect which mask we created in step 6.
How fast you can change the background color, it depends on your image complexity. If you are a new learner, you should start with a convenient or straightforward picture, and you can develop your skills by practicing more and more.
If you have any questions on this topic, please place a comment below.